PestStop Pest Control recommends heeding the following expert advice from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) on stinging insect prevention:
- Seal all visible cracks and crevices to keep stingers from moving indoors, and regularly inspect around the perimeter of the home for nests.
- During a picnic, cover all food when outside, and be sure to keep tight-fitting lids on trash bins.
- Drink out of clear containers, as stinging insects can sneak into aluminum cans unnoticed.
- If spending long periods of time outdoors, skip the perfume, cologne, or scented body wash in favor of unscented shampoos, soaps, and lotions. Yellowjackets and other stinging insects are attracted to sweet-smelling fragrances.
- Wear closed-toe shoes, especially in grassy areas where hornets and other pests often nest.
- If you find a stinging insect nest on the property, don’t attempt to remove it on your own. Instead, Contact us.